Sunday, March 16, 2008

Strawberry fields forever ......

While in school in Kobe, we once went for a strawberry picking expedition.....absolutely delightful...

With a straw hat to keep away the sun, me and my classmates with our teacher..... reached the strawberry fields and plucked strawberries... filled our baskets.....I shall never forget that day.....
Just like I will not forget the summer holidays when my dad would take me swimming.....my mom couldn't come since she had to take care of the little baby.....but me and my dad had a blast at the swimming pool and then he would treat me to a hot hot or some delicious cheese sandwich.....

I couldn't swim much yet .....but I did manage to waddle in the kiddies pool......My dad was from the backwaters of the Ganges delta....so he would just vanish to one of the larger pools for the adults in the complexe to get a proper swim....while I waddled where I was.....

Back home, I would try to act as important as possible and tried to do things for the little baby brother.....feed him......push the pram around in the courtyard.....keep him busy in the cot....with toys.....I was always excited when my parents' friends would come over to see the baby and give a gift....usually a toy....which I would obviously play with.....once the guests left............life was just great those days in Japan.....I think I spent one of the best phases of my life there.....the next step was moving to India.....n new place for me........In September 1966, shortly after my brother's first birthday we boarded the French Liner "Cambodge" on a delightful journey to Bombay via Manila, Hongkong, Bangkok etc......Watch out for the next episode guys....... :-)

1 comment:

Anjali said...

Hi Indrani
Thanx to you I now know there are strawberry fields in Kobe.
Would be interesting to read your Vietnam experiences.
Stumbled on your blog through Ryze.
Good luck
Anjali